Thomas Dybdahl is one of my favourite singers. Its wonderful to be awash in the velvet of his voice.
He is a boy from the local Norwegian hood. His hometown is now mine and the very fact that I can see him at a cafe on an occasional Saturday makes me ridiculously happy for no reason. Because, even after all the accolades he’s received, he is still painfully shy and hides behind all his facial hair. He smiles with awkward sweetness when people go over to him and..
Man. It makes me want to stick my tongue in his ear just to make him giggle. It’s that cute.
Some extra notes.
1. The video is from Monster Thursday – a lovely, sweet and sad film also made in this town. I’m going to go all out and say that we have some of the best acting talent Norway has seen and some of the most amazing small-budget commercial films you can pick up.
2. The purrty girl in the video? That is Silje Salomonsen. She is so talented that it makes your head spin. She’s an actress and a musician and she’s also my yoga teacher. Silje is a thousand shades of fabulous because she is the only woman I know who stands on her head effortlessly when she is seven months pregnant.
3. That beach in the first shot? Thats where I love to escape to.
4. That wierd language they speak? Thats Norsk. They are speaking the local dialect that is my norsk too.
5. When Thomas performs in town, his family, all his uncles, aunts and cousins come along and cheer him on. And by that I mean they practically stand on their tables and clap. You couldn’t see a more enthusiastic family or a prouder artist. Going to these concerts never gets old!
Enjoy this little taste of Norway!